No one looks forward to having their home restored after a fire, which is why everyone willingly listens to tips regarding how to avoid fire damage. We start early with our children, teaching them not to play with matches or fire. We know to keep a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen and the workshop, make sure stove burners are turned off, never leave kerosene heaters unattended, and test smoke detectors regularly while practicing fire drills.
Yet despite all those precautions, it seems some fires are simply unavoidable. Like the old man who was relaxing in his massage chair, no doubt enjoying the good vibrations, when the chair suddenly caught fire. The fire spread rapidly, causing massive damage to his home and his contents. A short in the wiring ignited combustible material in the chair. All he could do was call a reputable fire restoration contractor to restore his possessions after the loss.
Then there was the family whose washing machine caught fire and created tremendous smoke damage throughout the house. It’s hard to imagine that one of the largest containers of water in the home could be a source of fire, but that’s exactly what this family experienced. Once again, the culprit was an electrical short that ignited combustible material. By the time the family discovered the fire it was too late. Perhaps it might have been prevented had they sat and watched the clothes washing. Instead, they sought the services of a fire restoration professional to recover what they could of their possessions and their home.
We think of computers as tools to increase productivity, not fire starters; but desktop computers generate considerable heat, which is why they have internal cooling fans. Over time, dust collects inside the case, which not only keeps the cooling fans from removing the heat effectively, but also serves as a source of combustible material. Regular cleaning prevents the need for fire restoration professionals coming to your home or business.
The oddest story of all was a non-electrical make up mirror than was slightly adjusted one morning to get that last bit of makeup blended. Somehow the angle of the mirror was adjusted in a direct line with the rising sun in the bathroom. The sunshine came through the bathroom window, went directly into the mirror and reflected back onto the side bathroom wall. Much like we all did as kids – holding a magnifying glass over a piece of paper, outside in the hot sun to catch the paper on fire, this bathroom caught on fire and created quite the disaster.
In each case, the fire damage could have been prevented. Worn wiring in appliances causes a number of fires each year. Washers and dryers, because of their moving parts, run the risk of loosening connections—the older the appliances, the greater the risk. Massage chairs, motorized beds, lift chairs and similar devices pose an often overlooked risk as a source of ignition.
If you ever experience fire damage, it might be time for a little ultrasonic cleaning! Visit the Omegasonics website for more information about fire damage restoration, or find us on LinkedIn and Twitter.